Responding to the devastation of the epic and historic Hurricane Harvey, the Houston League of BUsiness and Professional Women, Inc in collaboration with The Houston Sun has established a three tier HLBPW Harvey Care Initiative. To that end, the Houston League during the conference call explored the following:
- Ways to Support and Engage is Hurricane Harvey Welfare, Safety, and Care Actions
- Establish an Official Fundraiser Process for Hurricane Harvey Donations
- Collection and Delivery of Supplies for residents impacted by Hurricane Harvey.
It was decided to implement the above three initiatives and call upon all members, friends, organizations, the general public, and partners to support those impacted by Hurricane Harvey.
a. Collect, organize, label, bag your supplies, books, toys, games, and deliver them to the Sun or prepared to caravan to the George R. Brown or an official shelter. Organize Clothing items by size, gender; items for children, and babies. Place items in separate labeled bags and deliver to the Houston Sun, 1520 Isabella St. 77004 beginning Wednesday-Friday, from 4-6 PM, providing it is safe for you to travel. Used clothing should be gently used and clean.
b. Participate in the Houston League’s Care Initiative by emailing and posting to your social media Send donors to:firstname.lastname@example.org to make contributions using PayPal. Those contributions will be distributed as follows: First, Impacted African American Small Business; secondly, Texas Southern University Beta PSI and thirdly, Family with Children. “All funds are tax deductible and will go to businesses and families that have been vetted by the Houston League of BPW,” said Dorris Ellis, Publisher Editor of the Houston Sun and President of the Houston League of Business and Professional Women, Inc.
About the Houston League
The Houston League was organized in 1964 by Mrs. Luellia W. Harrsion as an affiliate of the National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women’s Clubs, Inc. Its purpose is to:
- To promote and protect the interest of business and professional women; to create good fellowship among them;
- To direct the interest of Business and Professional Women toward united action for improved social and civic conditions;
- To recognize achievements of business and professional women and to preserve the history of these achievements, that all people may be informed and that our young people may know their heritage and be inspired,
- To develop youth through leadership, and
To seek and create job opportunities.